GeoExt Based SLD Editor

Just in time for the holiday season the GeoServer team is happy to announce the coming of a new SLD editor extension based on the newly founded GeoExt project. Download the new extension and try it out. It also requires the installation of the rest plugin. A quick walk through of the installation and functionality can be found here.

The GeoExt library is a javascript framework for building rich web based mapping applications which is built on top of the the OpenLayers and Ext libraries. The project has recently kicked itself off with the forming of a mailing list, and a call for participation.

8 Comments

1. Posted December 23, 2008 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Note also that there’s an email list dedicated to Styler, as it’s not a full part of GeoExt yet, and in some ways is big enough to be its own project. If you have things you’d like to see out of it sound in there. Or on GeoExt or GeoServer lists, and we can coordinate on Styler list.

2. Posted December 24, 2008 at 12:55 am | Permalink

This will be fantastic to have that in GeoExt !
    Do you have a site where it is possible to test this feature ?

3. Ivan Price
    Posted January 15, 2009 at 3:52 am | Permalink

Awesome feature!! ๐Ÿ™‚ when teaching other people how to use geoserver the SLD editing has always been embarrassingly tedious, in contrast to the rest of Geoserver. 2 things from me:

I’d be very interested to hear about the timeline for full support for text labels, for me the only thing missing. The attribute and scale filters are great.

Bail the reliance on google, where i am our internet is very poor and it makes using this great tool difficult. There should be an ability to have no layer loaded other than the one in question, as is the case for the existing map preview.

last thing.. the SLD/XML the tool creates is not indented, so when you go to edit the SLD in the normal web editor (to add labels etc) you have to use an external app unless you have a robot brain. Is the tool able to save pretty formatted XML instead ? (until it replaces xml editing)

top feature..i think this will really open up geoserver to less savvy users.

great work and thanks !!

4. Posted January 15, 2009 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Ivan:

Thanks for taking interest. I prompt you to send this feedback to prompt more discussion. That said:

1. The next release of the styler adds support for labels. The release is scheduled for Monday (Jan 19th), so stay tuned :).

2. Yeah, one of the things I want to do is allow for other base maps… or just to leave the base map blank. I encourage you to file a feature request for this one.

3. Again, file a feature request for this one. That should be a straight forward feature to add.

-Justin

5. Posted February 2, 2009 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Really nice feature. I’m having trouble saving and my Really nice feature. I can’t find any way to save (ff3), but apart from that… it really has potential! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Posted February 2, 2009 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

that came out strange… i’m repeating myself ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Posted February 3, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Hello,
    Very nice feature, congrats. I have few suggestions though.
    It would be nice if I can copy styles definitions, for instance, I have a country shapefile that I will make a map in which every continent gets a color, I wanted to create an style for Americas and after that copy this style and just edit for Europe, Africa, etc… I’m not sure but I think is not hard to implement.
    Other thing that would help is in the section Limit by condition if I choose one field, continent for instance, it could show me some possibilities inside that field (Americas, Africa, Europe), maybe that is a little bit more complicated since there are some types of fields (strings, floats, etc).
    I also agree that Google Layer shouldn’t be the only possibility.
    Just my 2 cents…
    Congratulations again, very well done.

8. xenociphal
    Posted March 11, 2009 at 9:01 am | Permalink

???????? ?????. ????????? ?? ???????????! ???????

Download GeoServer