GeoServer printing preview release

Remember the good ol’ days, when the only maps you had were pieces of paper?  The past is now! PDF example

Hi, I’m Alan, and I’m interning with OpenGeo this summer.  My first order of business has been plugging MapFish‘s printing capability into GeoServer as a community module; right now we’re releasing a developer preview. The module exposes an HTTP interface that allows the user to ask the server to compose an attractive map in PDF format.  MapFish also provides a JavaScript library that allows easy printing from a OpenLayers map.

Up for trying it out? You’ll need to download a nightly build of trunk and add a few files to it. I have written up step-by-step instructions for anyone interested. If you have any feedback, please chime in on the GeoServer developers mailing list.

EDIT: The print module instructions have been updated for GeoServer .2.0.x.  Please refer to http://docs.geoserver.org/stable/en/user/community/printing/ instead of the old wiki page.

9 Comments

1. Stephen Mather
    Posted 2009/06/26 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Excellent! It’s nice that the past is now again. I look forward to seeing this project develop.

Steve

2. Jesse Eichar
    Posted 2009/07/01 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Hi Alan,

I am responsible for the java serverside portion of the print servlet. Let me know if you have questions. I don’t have all the answers as I am just picking up the module but I would be happy to help if you have questions.

Jesse

3. Posted 2009/12/28 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Hi Alan,

I followed your instructions to Install the MapFish printing extension on my GeoServer 2.0.0 in Tomcat, but I can’t get it working, since it complains on not finding the file “info.json”

I find it very difficult to understand how the MapFish Print Module is working, since it is poor documentated. I have problems with the info.json and I don’t understand the function of create.json and print.pdf. Is there any good documentation or wike available?

Kind regards,

Arthur Kolkman

4. Sorin Dudui
    Posted 2010/04/06 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Hi Alan,

I have same problem with the “info.json”.

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/geoserver/pdf/info.json

Any solution?

Sorin

5. frank vielma
    Posted 2010/06/16 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Hi,

I have a problem with the “info.json” too.

NOT_FOUND

RequestURI=/geoserver/pdf/info.json

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

6. frank vielma
    Posted 2010/06/17 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Hi

I have same problem with the info.json

HTTP ERROR: 500

RequestURI=/geoserver/pdf/info.json

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

7. frank vielma
    Posted 2010/06/17 at 8:23 am | Permalink

Hi,

I have a similar problem:

HTTP ERROR: 500

RequestURI=/geoserver/pdf/info.json

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
    Frank

8. Schalk Grobbelaar
    Posted 2010/07/30 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Any luck on this as I am getting the same message:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Missing configuration in web.xml ‘web-app/servlet/init-param[param-name=config]‘ or ‘web-app/context-param[param-name=config]‘

I followed the step-by-step tutorial, but no luck installing the Printing Module in Geoserver…

Thanks,