GeoServer 2.5 is shaping up to be a great milestone and we would like to thank all those who downloaded 2.5-RC1 and submitted feedback and pull requests.
- The Oracle JNDI store now exposes fetch sizes,
- CSW requests are namespace aware again and
- Improved handling of unknown elements in configurations which should aid downgrading installs by Andrea Aime
- Polar Stereographic projections have been fixed by Ben Caradoc-Davies
- Thanks to Andrea and Jody for reviewing and merging pull requests
- Thanks to Ian Turton, Envitia and the Scottish Government’s AFRC for facilitating this release.
- Check the release notes for more details
- This release is made in conjunction with GeoTools 11.0.
About GeoServer 2.5.0
Articles and resources for GeoServer 2.5 series:
- GeoServer 2.5-beta announcement reviews key features of this release:
- WCS 2.0 and WCS 2.0 Earth Observation have been added (thanks to DLR and Eumesat for funding this)
- The addition of a batch importer to making setting up GeoServer easier (thanks to MapStory).
- High performance PNG encoder based on PNGJ library (Andrea Aime). Improved JPEG performance using libjpegturbo available as an optional extension (Simone Giannecchini and Daniele Romagnoli)
- Use of ST_Simplify to improve PostGIS rendering performance (a collaboration with Andrea and Jonathan Moules).
- New implementation of GetFeatureInfo that takes into account symbol shapes, offsets, and dynamic line widths into account (thanks to Eskilstuna municipality for funding this).
- Using GeoServer at IGN to create new digital maps is an impressive look at advanced styling deployed by the french mapping agency
- Labelling a MultiPoint geometry with WPS (Boundless) is a good example of integrating WPS and Styling
- Achieving extreme GeoServer Scalability with new Marlin vector rasterizer (GeoSolutions) shows an exciting JRE extension that can be used for improved performance. If you are using GeoServer with a large number of CPU cores you owe yourself an hour to try this out.
- DXF output format promoted to official extension for GeoServer (GeoSolutions)
- Active Directory based security in GeoServer through LDAP (GeoSolutions)