GeoServer 2.5.2 is the next the stable release of GeoServer and is recommended for production deployment. Thanks to everyone taking part, submitting fixes and new functionality:
- Some fixes in the new GetFeatureInfo engine, for unfilled polygons and dashed lines
- Solved a configuration issue that might have linked two styles toghether (edit one, the other changed as well)
- DBMS connection leak in some WFS GetFeature with bounds enabled
- Have WPS work properly as a workspace specific service, and report the current process activity during asynchronous requests (for processes that do report what they are doing in plain english, besides offering a progress percentage)
- Add a way to resctrict output formats supported by WMS GetMap and GetFeatureInfo
- More docs on how to setup JNDI connection pools in GeoServer
- Thanks to Andrea (GeoSolutions) for publishing this release
- Check the release notes for more details
- This release is made in conjunction with GeoTools 11.2
About GeoServer 2.5
Articles and resources for GeoServer 2.5 series:
- GeoServer now supports Vector Footprints for ImageMosaic
- Harvesting Metadata using CSW
- Caveats in GeoServer JNDI configuration
- Supporting Wind Barbs In GeoServer and GeoTools
- Deterministic rendering order in SLDs
- Secure GeoServer connections to Postgres for Heroku
- Labelling a MultiPoint geometry with WPS
- GeoServer 2.5-beta announcement reviews key features of this release:
- WCS 2.0 and WCS 2.0 Earth Observation have been added (thanks to DLR and Eumesat for funding this)
- The addition of a batch importer to making setting up GeoServer easier (thanks to MapStory).
- High performance PNG encoder based on PNGJ library (Andrea Aime). Improved JPEG performance using libjpegturbo available as an optional extension (Simone Giannecchini and Daniele Romagnoli)
- Use of ST_Simplify to improve PostGIS rendering performance (a collaboration with Andrea and Jonathan Moules).
- New implementation of GetFeatureInfo that takes into account symbol shapes, offsets, and dynamic line widths into account (thanks to Eskilstuna municipality for funding this).
- Using GeoServer at IGN to create new digital maps is an impressive look at advanced styling deployed by the french mapping agency
- Labelling a MultiPoint geometry with WPS (Boundless) is a good example of integrating WPS and Styling
- Achieving extreme GeoServer Scalability with new Marlin vector rasterizer (GeoSolutions) shows an exciting JRE extension that can be used for improved performance. If you are using GeoServer with a large number of CPU cores you owe yourself an hour to try this out.
- DXF output format promoted to official extension for GeoServer (GeoSolutions)
- Active Directory based security in GeoServer through LDAP (GeoSolutions)